It's that time of year again to add to our school psychology toolbox and network with colleagues from around the state. Escape your day-to-day routines by attending the FASP Annual Conference at the Omni Orlando Resort at ChampionsGate, October 24–27, 2018. This fantastic resort has many new amenities since FASP’s last visit including a fantastic wave pool!
The theme for this year's conference is Regulate Yourself! The Science of Cognition, Emotion & Behavior. The world renowned ADHD expert, Dr. Russell Barkley will give the keynote address, “The Second Attention Disorder: Sluggish Cognitive Tempo versus ADHD.” Dr. Marc Brackett, founding director of The Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence will provide the opening address, “Emotional Intelligence: From Theory to Programs to Systemic Change.” We will have a second strand of the conference focusing on creating safe and supportive schools, fostering students’ mental health, and reducing school violence. A feature of the second strand is a Town Hall Meeting. We will have a number of panelists from different professions and victims/parents of the Parkland shooting who will offer their unique perspective on the issues impacting our nation's schools in the wake of the horrific school shootings that have occurred within the past two decades. As scientist-practitioners, school psychologists can access the growing body of research around topics that impact our professional practice through learning from experts in our field. The conference will provide you with an abundance of tools, ideas, interventions, and strategies to improve your practice outcomes (Register NOW!).
New this year! Eat lunch while you hear about FASP’s activities at the General Business Meeting right before the keynote, all included in your conference registration fee.
Plus, we have a very exciting line-up of featured presenters who will share their expertise on a variety of topics.
Wednesday/Thursday, included in your registration fee:
- Dr. Russell Barkley: In addition to the keynote, Dr. Barkley will present a conference workshop on “ADHD, Self-Regulation, Executive Functioning: Implications for Treatment” (Thursday AM, 2 CEs) sponsored by FASP.
- Dr. Marc Brackett: In addition to the opening address, he will participate in our Town Hall meeting (Wednesday afternoon) sponsored by FASP.
- Dr. Marilyn Monteiro will offer two workshops, “Autism Evaluations: Individualizing the Diagnosis Across Age and Ability Levels” and “Autism Evaluations: Introduction to the MIGDAS-2 Sensory-Based Diagnostic Interview Process” (Wednesday AM and PM, 3 CEs each) sponsored by WPS.
- Dr. Stephen Elliott will offer a workshop, “Creating a Multi-Tiered Social Emotional Support System (SSIS) Responsive to All Students” (Thursday PM, 3 CEs) sponsored by Pearson.
- Dr. Sam Goldstein will speak on “Evaluating Risky Behaviors and Strengths in Students: Using the Risk Inventory and Strengths Evaluation (RISE)” (Wednesday PM, 3 CEs) sponsored by WPS.
- Dr. Richard Marshall will present on “Emotional Disorders/Behavioral Disorders: Neurobiological Perspectives on Assessment and Intervention” (Wednesday AM, 3 CEs) sponsored by PAR.
The following workshops will be offered on Friday:
- Dr. Marc Brackett will present a full-day workshop, “RULER: A Whole-School, Evidence-Based Approach to Social and Emotional Learning” (AM and PM, 6 CEs) sponsored by FASP.
- Dr. Kevin McGrew will present on “CHC Theory Update: Running with Scissors” (Friday AM, 3 CEs) sponsored by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
- Dr. Sam Ortiz will present on “Evidence-based Evaluation of English Learners: A Contemporary Approach to Testing (Friday PM, 3 CE) sponsored by MHS.
The following add-on workshops for licensure renewal will be offered on Saturday:
- Dr. Gene Cash will present on Domestic Violence for licensure renewal.
- Dr. Rance Harbor will present on Medical Errors for licensure renewal
*Don't forget to join us at our fun-filled social events:
Welcome Reception on Wednesday evening
FASP party with live DJ on Thursday evening
FASP Children Services Fund, Inc.
The FASP CSFI needs your help! We will be holding a Silent Auction on Wednesday and Thursday. The primary purpose of the FASP CSFI fundraising projects is to provide emergency and planned grants at the request of school psychologists and other professionals throughout Florida. Through our collective efforts, more than 95% percent of all funds raised go directly to Florida’s students and families in need of assistance. Please bring items to donate and come ready to bid and donate. You can also donate during registration or directly at http://www.fasp.org/Liaison_Positions/CSFI.html. Thank you for helping Florida’s children!
*Please note:* Member registration options will appear upon selecting "Register" and entering your email address. The system will use your email to recognize *membership status*.
Conference Fee Structure 2018 (includes Thursday General Business Meeting/Keynote Luncheon)
|Category||Preregistered Rate (by 9/30/2018)||On Site|
|Annual Conference (Wednesday & Thursday)|
|Member- Annual Conference + Friday CE Workshops||280||305;|
|Member – Annual Conference + Friday CE Workshops + Saturday (Domestic Violence & Medical Errors)||310||335|
|Non-Member - Annual Conference + Friday CE Workshops||430||455|
|Non-Member– Annual Conference + Friday CE Workshops + Saturday (Domestic Violence & Medical Errors)||480||505|
|Student - Annual Conference + Friday CE Workshops||155||180|
|Early Career/Retired - Annual Conference + Friday CE Workshops||220||245|
|Early Career/Retired - Annual Conference + Friday CE Workshops + Saturday (Domestic Violence & Medical Errors)||250||275|
|FASP CSFI Donation|
Reserve your room at the Omni Orlando Resort at ChampionsGate. The special FASP rate of $169.00 plus tax for a single/double room is available until 9/22/2018. This rate includes a waived resort fee that includes in-room Wi-Fi, transportation to Disney Parks, health club, recreational activities, complimentary self-parking and reduced valet ($24) plus tax for overnight guests, and reduced flat-rate for day (only) parking at $10 for self-parking and $17 for valet. Reserve online using this link https://www.omnihotels.com/hotels/orlando-championsgate/meetings/2018-annual-florida-assoc-of-school-psychologists or call 1-800-THE-OMNI (1-800-843-6664) and mention FASP.
*Please note that rooms may sell out before the deadline. An early departure fee applies. Other online third-party promotional rates may NOT include the waived resort fee and other concessions negotiated by FASP on your behalf.*